Saturday, January 31, 2009

Ukiyo-e

For the past few days, I've been scanning through the web. It has been my lifelong desire to study in either the UK or the US. However since the LAM (Board of Architects Malaysia) only recognises architecture degrees from certain universities in Malaysian, Australia, New Zealand and UK, I have to ditch the idea of studying in US. London, Liverpool, Leicester, Bath, Edinburgh, anywhere in UK will do.

For most applications for architecture courses, a portfolio is required. So, I've began work using guidelines from Plymouth. 15 to 25 pieces of art in total with a minimum of 10 hand-drawn pieces. WOW. My first piece is a reprodustion of a painting of four Nyonya ladies playing musical instruments.

My half done sketch.

Another of my inspirations is Utagawa Hiroshige, a Japanese ukiyo-e artist who was also referred by the art name Ichiyƫsai Hiroshige. His paintings actually influenced Van Gogh who was interested in Japanese art.

Left: Hiroshige's Great Bridge, Sudden Shower at Atake

Right: Van Gogh's The Bridge in the Rain


I was thinking of Kinryuza Temple which depicts both Japanese art and architecture.


Another ukiyo-e artist and printmaker of the Edo period together with Hiroshige would be the senior Katsushika Hokusai. Comparatively, I prefer Hokusai's style with bright and strong colours. A few of my favourites of his art are Travellers Crossing the Oi River which was one of the 10 prints that were added to the original 36 prints in Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji, and also the Drum Bridge.


Travellers Crossing the Oi River, Hokusai.

Drum Bridge, Hokusai.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails