Thursday, December 25, 2008

Kurisumasu Ometedo!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Selamat Hari Natal!
圣诞节快乐!
Nathar Puthu Varuda Valthukkal!
メリークリスマス!
즐거운 성탄!

It's time for my annual 'Santa bashing' because Christmas has taken a completely different turn from the real reason of the celebration. Well, I did this bashing last year and the comparison between Santa and Jesus was clear enough to prove that Jesus is Almighty. Personally, I do not believe in this fluffy bearded man in a striking red suit. The thought of it is actually pretty scary. URK.

Things that I find are completely irrelevant during Christmas:

1. Santa Claus -- According to my reading, he was probably a character drawn from the inspiration of St. Nicholas of Myra who gave generously to the poor. But, at the same time, parallels have been drawn between Santa with the German god Odin. That's paganism for you. In Denmark, he is an elf called Tomte or Nisse. The red-suited man was actually created by Thomas Nast for a Coca-Cola promo. And this heavyset man is flown by reindeers (?!) Rather ridiculous.

2. Snow -- Yeah, it snows in the US and all but I don't think it actually snowed in Bethlehem when Jesus was born.

3. Lame "carols" -- Frosty the Snowman?? Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer??

4. The colour red and green -- Oops. (see above) But, seriously, why red and green?

5. Christmas trees -- Tree worship is a pagan practice. But, I can't see what a conical-shaped tree is related to Jesus.

Well, there are probably more. Call me a Scrooge or hear me go 'bah humbug' but, I believe that Jesus is the reason for the season.

-------------

Christmas this year has been tame for me. I skipped the shopping for friends this year. Sorry. But, no one stated that it is a rule to give presents during Christmas right? I didn't get many this year. I guess the "give-to-receive" formula works. Haha. Thanks to KJ, Sean, Padré, Shao, Adelyn, Sam and Leland, Lai Yee and Yian, Nic, Kirsten and Joo Lee. If I left anyone out, sorry and thanks.

Playing for Christmas was no easy feat, since I'm so rusty. Qi Vin gave noob me a prep lesson that was basic but enough to boost my confidence a little. Although unintended, it was a nice Christmas gift. With the rally so near and my drumming still so weak, there's no time for play!

Merry Christmas!
God bless us, every one. -Tiny Tim from A Christmas Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails